back to the home page
my work experience
my mathematical genealogy
my erdös number
maple packages, projects, etc.
in the news...
my professional memberships
lots of links
- A Mathematician's Practical Guide to Mentoring Undergraduate Research by Michael Dorff, Allison Henrich, and Lara Pudwell, published September 2019 by MAA Press: an imprint of the American Mathematical Society and the Council on Undergraduate Research.
- Lara Pudwell, Book review: An Introduction to Undergraduate Research in Computational and Mathematical Biology Edited by Hannah Callender Highlander, Alex Capaldi, and Carrie Diaz Eaton; and A Project-Based Guide to Undergraduate Research in Mathematics. Edited by Pamela Harris, Erik Insko, and Aaron Wootton,
This is an Accepted
Manuscript of an article published by Taylor & Francis
in The American Mathematical Monthly 127.10, 953-957. https://doi.org/10.1080/00029890.2020.1822719.
- Lara Pudwell, Enumeration schemes for pattern-avoiding words and permutations, Rutgers University, May 2008.
- Lara Pudwell and Manda Riehl, Occurrences of reciprocal sign epistasis in single- and multi-peaked theoretical fitness landscapes, in preparation.
- Julia Krull, Lara Pudwell, Eric Redmon, and Andrew Reimer-Berg, Packing patterns in symmetric words, submitted.
(* denotes undergraduate student)
- Lara Pudwell, From permutation patterns to the periodic table, Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 67.7 (2020), 994-1001. https://www.ams.org/journals/notices/202007/rnoti-p994.pdf
- This paper includes the following periodic table illustration: with tikz code given here:
- Lara Pudwell and Rebecca Smith, Two-stack-sorting with pop stacks, Australasian Journal of Combinatorics 74.1 (2019), 179-195. https://ajc.maths.uq.edu.au/pdf/74/ajc_v74_p179.pdf
- Michael Bukata*, Ryan Kulwicki*, Nicholas Lewandowski*, Lara Pudwell, Jacob Roth*, and Teresa Wheeland*, Distributions of Statistics over Pattern-Avoiding Permutations, Journal of Integer Sequences 22 (2019) 19.2.6. https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/journals/JIS/VOL22/Pudwell/pudwell6.html
- Monica Anderson*, Marika Diepenbroek*, Lara Pudwell, and Alex Stoll*, Pattern avoidance in reverse double lists, Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science 19.2 (2018), #13. https://dmtcs.episciences.org/4919
- Lara Pudwell and Eric Rowland, Avoiding fractional powers over the natural numbers, Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 25.2 (2018), P2.27. http://www.combinatorics.org/ojs/index.php/eljc/article/view/v25i2p27.
- Michael Dorff, Allison Henrich, and Lara Pudwell, Successfully Mentoring Undergraduates in Research: A How To Guide for Mathematicians, PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies 27.3 (2017), 320-336. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2016.1183248
- Charles Cratty*, Samuel Erickson*, Frehiwet Negassi*, and Lara Pudwell, Pattern avoidance in double lists, Involve, a Journal of Mathematics 10.3 (2017), 379-398. https://doi.org/10.2140/involve.2017.10.379
- Lara Pudwell, Teaching the inquiry process through experimental mathematics, PRIMUS: Problems, Resources, and Issues in Mathematics Undergraduate Studies 27.2 (2017), 281-292. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2016.1143899
- David Bevan, Derek Levin*, Peter Nugent*, Jay Pantone, Lara Pudwell, Manda Riehl, and ML Tlachac*, Pattern avoidance in forests of binary shrubs,
Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science 18.2 (2016), #8. https://dmtcs.episciences.org/1541
- Derek Levin*, Lara Pudwell, Manda Riehl, and Andrew Sandberg*, Pattern avoidance in k-ary heaps, Australasian Journal of Combinatorics 64.1 (2016), 120-139. http://ajc.maths.uq.edu.au/pdf/64/ajc_v64_p120.pdf
- Adam Goyt and Lara Pudwell, On packing densities of set partitions, Australasian Journal of Combinatorics 64.1 (2016), 64-76. http://ajc.maths.uq.edu.au/pdf/64/ajc_v64_p064.pdf
- Lara Pudwell, Ascent sequences and the binomial convolution of Catalan numbers, Australasian Journal of Combinatorics 64.1 (2016), 21-43. http://ajc.maths.uq.edu.au/pdf/64/ajc_v64_p021.pdf
- Lara Pudwell and Eric Rowland, What's in your wallet?, The Mathematical Intelligencer 37.4 (2015), 54-60.
- (See Evelyn Lamb's review of the paper on her Scientific American Roots of Unity blog: Mathematicians Predict What's in Your Wallet)
- The files below contain data on the Markov chain for a "big spender's" wallet state in four currency scenarios considered in "What's in your wallet?". The set of wallet states and the transition matrix are available. The transition matrix is available in two formats: as a list of the nonzero entries and their positions (which can be passed to SparseArray) and in its full form as a list of lists. This data was computed using the Mathematica package PocketChange.
- Dennis E. Davenport, Lara K. Pudwell, Louis W. Shapiro, and Leon C. Woodson, The boundary of ordered trees, Journal of Integer Sequences 18 (2015) 15.5.8. https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/journals/JIS/VOL18/Davenport/dav3.html
- Andrew Baxter and Lara Pudwell, Ascent sequences avoiding pairs of patterns, Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 22.1 (2015), P1.58. http://www.combinatorics.org/ojs/index.php/eljc/article/view/v22i1p58.
- Dan Daly and Lara Pudwell, Pattern avoidance in the rook monoid, Journal of Combinatorics 5.4 (2014), 471-497. http://dx.doi.org/10.4310/JOC.2014.v5.n4.a5
- Anant Godbole, Adam Goyt, Jennifer Herdan*, and Lara Pudwell, Pattern avoidance in ordered set partitions, Annals of Combinatorics 18.3 (2014), 429-445.
- Michael Karls, David McCune, Lara Pudwell, and Azadeh Rafizadeh, The Role of Graduate Students in Research Experience for Undergraduates Programs, Involve, a Journal of Mathematics 7.3 (2014), 369-372. http://dx.doi.org/10.2140/involve.2014.7.369
- Lara Pudwell, Connor Scholten*, Tyler Schrock*, and Alexa Serrato*, Non-contiguous pattern containment in binary trees, ISRN Combinatorics vol. 2014, Article ID 316535, 8 pages, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/316535
- Lara Pudwell and Rachel Rockey*, de Bruijn arrays for L-fillings, Mathematics Magazine 87.1 (2014), 57-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.4169/math.mag.87.1.57
- Adam Goyt, and Lara Pudwell. A Stirling Permutation Problem. (Solution II) American Mathematical Monthly 120.4 (2013), 369-371. http://dx.doi.org/10.4169/amer.math.monthly.120.04.365
- Michael Dairyko*, Lara Pudwell, Samantha Tyner*, and Casey Wynn*, Non-contiguous pattern avoidance in binary trees, Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 19.3 (2012), P22. http://www.combinatorics.org/ojs/index.php/eljc/article/view/v19i3p22
- Adam Goyt and Lara Pudwell, Avoiding colored partitions of two elements in the pattern sense, Journal of Integer Sequences 15 (2012) 12.6.2. https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/journals/JIS/VOL15/Goyt/goyt4.html
- Andrew Baxter and Lara Pudwell, Enumeration schemes for vincular patterns, Discrete Mathematics 312 (2012), 1699-1712. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.disc.2012.01.021
- Nathan Gabriel*, Katie Peske*, Lara Pudwell, and Sam Tay*, Pattern avoidance in ternary trees, Journal of Integer Sequences 15 (2012) 12.1.5. https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/journals/JIS/VOL15/Pudwell/pudwell.html
- Adam Goyt and Lara Pudwell, Avoiding colored partitions of lengths two and three, Pure Mathematics and Applications 22.2 (2011), 107-128. http://www.mat.unisi.it/newsito/puma/public_html/22_2/goyt_pudwell.pdf
- Lara Pudwell, Stacking blocks and counting permutations, Mathematics Magazine 83 (2010), 297-302. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.4169/002557010x521868
- supplementary material for Stacking blocks and counting permutations,
- Lara Pudwell, Enumeration schemes for words avoiding permutations. In
Permutation Patterns (2010), S. Linton, N. Ruskuc, and V. Vatter,
Eds., vol. 376 of London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series,
Cambridge University Press, pp. 193-211. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/mathematics/discrete-mathematics-information-theory-and-coding/permutation-patterns
- Lara Pudwell, Enumeration schemes for permutations avoiding barred patterns, Electronic Journal of Combinatorics 17 (2010), R29. http://www.combinatorics.org/ojs/index.php/eljc/article/view/v17i1r29
- Lara Pudwell and Eric Rowland, Counting interesting elections, American Mathematical Monthly 117.2 (2010), 167-174. http://doi.org/10.4169/000298910X476077
- Lara Pudwell, Enumeration schemes for words avoiding patterns with repeated letters, INTEGERS: The Electronic Journal of Combinatorial Number Theory 8 (2008), A40. http://www.emis.de/journals/INTEGERS/papers/i40/i40.pdf
- Lara Pudwell, Digit reversal without apology, Mathematics Magazine 80 (2007), 129-132. http://www.jstor.org/stable/27643011
- Betsy Crull*, Tammy Cundiff*, Paul Feltman*, Glenn Hurlbert, Lara Pudwell*, Zsuzsanna Szaniszlo, Zsolt Tuza, The cover pebbling number of graphs, Discrete Mathematics 296 (2005), 15-23. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.disc.2005.03.009
- Steven Klee*, Lara Pudwell*, and Rick Gillman. On the edge set of graphs of lattice paths, International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 61 (2004), 3291-3299. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/S0161171204306058
- Paul Baginski*, Scott T. Chapman, Kathryn McDonald*, and Lara Pudwell*. On cross numbers of minimal zero sequences in certain cyclic groups, Ars Combinatoria 70 (2004), 47-60. http://www.combinatorialmath.ca/arscombinatoria/vol70.html
- Marjorie Brewer*, Adam Hughes*, Lara Pudwell*. Graphs of essentially equivalent lattice paths, Geombinatorics 13 (2003), 5-9. http://geombina.uccs.edu/?page_id=603